Monday, November 17, 2008

594 5/21/1944 Albert Erwin to Sadie Erwin

Albert Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington
Sunday, May 21, 1944
Sadie Erwin
1414 Cole St., Lake Charles, Louisiana

Dear Sadie,
Got your card when I went after the mail on my way to Stella’s for supper last night. I will be glad to get your letter after you get envelopes and stamps. Stella didn’t get back here until after 5 PM. I was getting a little worried, they parked the car in Tacoma and spent the afternoon shopping which was ok.
Stella cleaned up the house Saturday. We had a very good supper over there last night.
The note on my time check had said call for old check so that wasn’t anything to worry about. I got by Friday and Saturday. My ankle still bothers some and Saturday the bottom of my feet were quite sore.
Friday evening I ate my supper and then mowed the lawn. I was plenty tired when I got through. Saturday morning I didn’t think I could make it, but I worked on it and got away ok. Last night I went to bed at 10:30, got up at 8 this morning, had breakfast at nine, had tea and cookies at 1 PM and will eat at the Bensons around 5. It is now 4:30 but I am all ready. Want to finish this letter and mail it when I go over.
I brought the paper in this morning but read the lesson first.
Did you forget to take the oranges?
I paid for my ride last evening and have not spent anything yet.
Got two cards from Gladys. They were in Smelterville, Idaho Monday night and Livingston, Montana Tuesday. They had cabins that they had had before. Seemed like home to them. Everything going fine for them. The children don’t mind the trip. They had a nice dinner at Bozeman and then drove on to Livingston. They expect to be in Minneapolis by Thursday evening.
I split kindling and other wood this afternoon. It should last all week. Next time I cut the grass I will set the cutter up a little higher.
Please keep on working for me. I will try to hold my end up.
Quite a few roses on the bush in front, a nice big peony in the back yard.
Sam Grass funeral yesterday. Fay Madison has a new baby girl.
Mrs. Sam Grass didn’t tell the folks that Sam was sick but they heard about it and Kath and someone else went in. Mrs. Grass let them in and then wanted to know how they knew Sam was sick. They told her it certainly wasn’t her fault that they found it out. Then when he had passed on, she didn’t tell them. She called Maldus to come get the body and he notified the folks.
Well it is nearly five so I will close.
Love to you all, Pop
PS No mail, every paper and a bill for renewal of CS Journal. I will keep it here.
Pop

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading