Sunday, November 23, 2008

599 5/28/1944 Gladys Dahlstrom to Sadie Erwin

Gladys Dahlstrom
Oak Park, Illinois
Sunday, May 28, 1944
Sadie Erwin
1414 Cole St., Lake Charles, Louisiana

Dear Mother and Helen,
Thursday evening we stopped by the Guyon and I was so glad we did as we got your wire. I hadn’t really known whether you reached Lake Charles or not and I think it perfectly wonderful that Helen has a nice little girl. I do hope Helen is fine and that you, Mother, were there before she left for the hospital. I know it was close.
I am anxious to learn all the details. How much did Mary Helen weigh and is she light or dark.
Guess you know we couldn’t get in at the Guyon. We came out to Sporrers the 2nd evening and guess we will have to stay until we find something. It is very discouraging but we must not give up yet. Cully worked Friday and they wanted him to keep right on but he told them he had to find us a place to live. There seems to be nothing for rent and the houses run around $10,000 if they are the least bit new or nice. We are considering a $7500 bungalow that has 5 rooms and a sleeping porch and double garage. The house is brick but quite old and run down. It needs a lot of paint and fixing but is handy to good transportation and across the street from a public grade school. Cully took Al and Eve over to look at it now so I’m waiting for them to come back. The house to me would be worth about $4,000 and no more but we have to live someplace and this one is vacant now. Sporrer’s address is 9536 S. Lou__ if you want to write to me here. If we don’t find a place reasonably soon Cully just won’t take this old job. I’ll write again soon. Best of everything to you both and I will write real soon. We sure are busy.
Love, Gladys

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading