Wednesday, November 12, 2008

555 2/28/1944 Jim Erwin to Sadie Erwin

Jim Erwin
Lakeland Field, Lakeland, Florida
Monday, February 28, 1944
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
Day off and have been trying to catch up on my letter writing.
See you are on the Red Cross committee. They brought some cake and fruit out to us today and said they wanted to fix our day room up. We found out that they are going to be at our pay line tomorrow wanting a donation. All the fellows think the same thing about them and don’t intend to give much if anything at all. Everybody has a high opinion of the Salvation Army though.
Finally got a letter from Helen. She said that she had just gotten her address changed and hadn’t been back to the other place so Frances probably had my first letter. She sent the two pictures that were colored. They are certainly lovely.
We get gum only about once a week and then can only get one package. It will be swell if Pop could get some for me.
We played basketball again the other night. Played the officers and beat them. I only made seven points but did my part anyway. The score was 22 to 16. Thursday night we play again. If we win this next one, we should get the championship. It’s our toughest game though. Tonight we start our softball league. I haven’t played for a long time so might not do so well.
This morning it was so cold, I put on my long underwear. Got more tan this afternoon. Certainly a funny climate.
The new manning chart that was to come out was thrown away. I will still be able to make Sgt. Hope I’ll get it soon.
All our men going on furloughs have to be back by the 10th of March. Sounds like we’ll be leaving here some time that month.
Around the tenth or the fifteenth, I want you to send me the $25.00 I think I have in the bank. You won’t probably like this, but if March is to be our last month in the states, I want to have a darn good time. Before going across I want to have some pictures taken and I’ll really have to get a lot of them this time.
We got a teletype from Washinton asking if we could have our equipment to P.O.E. by March 20th. That doesn’t mean anything but has possibilities. Still hope we go to England.
My razor came and works fine.Thanks a lot for sending it.
I have two new girl friends now too. Next time I write hope I’ll have a couple more. It’s the only thing Florida is any good for.
With love, Jim

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading