Tuesday, December 2, 2008

270 3/3/1949 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
4008 Randall Avenue, St. Louis Park, Minneapolis 16, Minnesota
Thursday, March 03, 1949
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks:
Your nice letter came today. I am so anxious to hear if you buy the store or not. Louie's price sounds terrible to me. I sure hope you are able to swing a deal with him. In the spring will it be three years that you've had the store? If you bought it you could even sell your house and move up to the store, or maybe there isn't room for living quarters.
So Ruthie got the measles. I hope she is feeling O.K. Mary is over the mumps now but still gets tired easily. I guess she felt kind of punk even though she didn't swell up much. I took the kids to the circus yesterday and they had a big time. Elmer bought us reserved tickets so we had seats right in the front row and all the clowns stopped and talked to Jim and Mary.
Clara Jensen called a few minutes ago and we talked for quite a while. I told her I was writing to you so she said to be sure and tell you hello.
That Bob Christianson is certainly as bad or worse than Selma. How can people be like that? Well people find out though so it doesn't pay to have such crust. Mary would never stay in her play pen so it was just like new and I gave it away in Oak Ridge to strangers even. That's dumb too I think, but still I sure am glad I'm not the other way.
Grandma Carlson stopped around this evening and was sweet as pie. Elmer is working again tonight and I was playing cards with the kids so they weren't glad to see her but I kept on playing cards. She rambled on the whole time about her cat so I didn't have to enter much in the conversation. She doesn't remember anything for long we all are beginning to notice. By summer time she probably won't remember her old house.
The temperature was 45 today. A two year old drowned in Lake Calhoun this afternoon by going through the ice.
Yes, those were round trip day coach prices I told you. They aren't as bad as I expected. The plane rates may come down an awful lot. They are thinking of having tourist prices and if it goes through it would be more in line with train prices but still quite a bit higher than day coach.
Fanchon is still with her brother in Missouri. I asked Rose about Helen Emerson Sunday and she said she still is a practitioner but also works but she told me about another one who she said is just wonderful. Her name is Daisy Reed.
Jan Martin is leaving for California in another week so I have offered to keep her two boys. They are 11 and 13 and very nice boys. Jan will be gone about a month. Florence Carlson wondered if I was doing it in hopes Warnie would give me a pass on the plane. The little snot. They can't even give passes anymore.
Well Folks, Elmer will soon be home so I will stop for now. Tomorrow night is the sewing club over at Gerry Woodfill's.
More later Folks and let me know about the store deal.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading