Tuesday, December 2, 2008

188 10/20/1948 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
4008 Randall Avenue, St. Louis Park, Minneapolis 16, Minnesota
Wednesday, October 20, 1948
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks:
This is Elmer's night to work late so he doesn't get home until 9:30. Mary just got out of the tub and Jimmy is having his bath now so I will write to you. Your nice long letter came yesterday. Beth's life would make a good story. The end of it would be so unexpected and so unlike the beginning of it. I am kind of glad I never saw her after she changed because now I can remember her like she used to be. I just can't imagine Beth turning out the way she did. Just think how her sisters and family have suffered on account of her. It is best she is gone as long as she was leading the kind of life she was.
Well Tuesday I went over to get Mrs. Ellsworth. She looks very nice but has lost a lot of weight and does look a little older. We had a very nice afternoon and I think it did her a lot of good because she just unloaded her mind and talked and talked. Leila is just horrid and of course that is why Mrs. Ellsworth isn't going to stay here long. She said Leila doesn't even want her to use the telephone because it is one of those nickel a call phones. When I called Mrs. Ellsworth that night Leila said, "As soon as you get here do you always have to hurry and tell everyone so they will be calling up here." I asked Mrs. Ellsworth if Leila said those mean things in front of Charles and Mrs. Ellsworth said no, that she acted real nice in front of him but when he wasn't around she was always criticizing her and always saying mean things.
Mrs. Ellsworth said though that she just felt sorry for anyone who could act like that and she knew that Leila and Charles haven't had a happy marriage and she said she knew Charles wasn't the best person in the world for a woman to live with either. Anyway she plans to go to Iowa about the 1st and spend the winter with her sister who is in her 80's. She lives in an old house, in fact it is the same house Mrs. Ellsworth grew up in. It isn't modern in any way though so that will be hard. She said that a day never passes but what she thinks of Charlie. She has regretted so much selling her house. I think she would go back and live there alone now if she had it because she said no one seems to want her, although Charity and Edward both are very nice to her and try to make her feel welcome. I was way off the track on the age of Leila's girl. She is only twelve. I saw her when I went over to pick Mrs. E. up as she was home for lunch but Leila was out. Remember the rug we had at 116? Leila has that down on her living room floor now and it still looks real good. Mrs. E. has a very bad heart and is going to the doctor Friday to see about it again. I offered to drive her down to the doctor but she said Charles would take her. I wanted her to stay for supper and go home later but she felt pretty tired and thought she should get back to Leila's. If she feels like it I want her to come over next week for a bridge game.
I hope Jim and Ruth have a swell trip to California. Pop I sure hope you come now. I certainly hope you will stay just as long as you possibly can because it is a big trip and it is a shame to spend all that money and hurry back too fast. We have nice weather again and the real cold weather will probably hold off for quite a while yet. Try hard to come, Pop, if you can possibly make it. We would just love to see you and I'm anxious to have you see the house and kids and wouldn't it be fun to drive around Minneapolis again.
Thursday. I didn't finish this last night so will now as Jimmy just came from school and we are going to the store now. It is a beautiful day. Elmer bowls tonight so I am going to do my ironing then. Will close for now but write soon and plan on coming real soon, Pop.
With Love, Helen
Our mail comes o.k. with just Minneapolis 16. I've had a couple pieces of mail sent to St. Louis, Mo., and I remembered then Mrs. Woodfill saying the same thing.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading