Sunday, November 30, 2008

139 1/21/1948 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
3409 Fremont Ave. South, Minneapolis 8, Minnesota
Wednesday, January 21, 1948
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
Your very nice letter came yesterday and I think I'm as happy about your new oil heater as you are. Won't it be wonderful, Pop, not to spend all those hours on the wood pile? I just hope you will be able to get all the oil you need. It is awful here. Below zero weather with an oil shortage. Everyone is supposed to keep their heat down to 68ยบ and that's not warm enough. Mrs. Carlson had been turning it up to 80 as soon as Mr. C. left in the morning but he finally caught her at it so she doesn't dare anymore. The kids don't seem to mind the cold and neither one has had a cold. Yes, Jimmy misses school on account of the weather. When the car starts I take him but when it is too cold for the car to start I keep him home. Many schools close but so far the Minneapolis schools have stayed open but the radio announces for the mothers to use their own judgment.
I'll have a couple of days rest from typing because my typewriter didn't work quite right after spending 20 dollars on it having it rebuilt so I took it back today and can get it Friday.
Mary did want boxing gloves all right but hasn't said much about them lately. Remember that blanket she carried all over and had to go to sleep with. Well that is in shreds now and she has wanted a new one. But she discovered the doll you sent her was nicer to feel than her blanket so the doll goes to bed with her every night. I think she might like the doll buggy when spring comes and she can take it outside. She has finally learned the Scientific Statement of Being so goes around reciting it all the time.
Did I tell you how Mr. Carlson is going to build right next to us. There will be one vacant lot in between. I'm sick about it and so is Nellie. Elmer doesn't like it either but what can you do about it. Elmer says we'll have to make it plain right at the first that she can't come over until she is invited. Mother, you and Gladys saw her when she was in a good cycle, but she is just plain crazy. She is right down to Jimmy's mentality. I left Mary with her today when I went down to the office. She is fine to the kids and Mary slept the whole time. Anyway I brought Mrs. Carlson home a pretty vase and she likes it so much and it cheered her up.
If the darn plumber would bring us a toilet and connect our fixtures we could move in. The last two weeks he has promised to come for sure and still hasn't. He still doesn't have the toilet but he could get everything else connected.
That was swell of Ruth to have a birthday surprise for Stella. I'll bet the baby is darling now. I hope he is sleeping better. It surely was nice of you, mother, to let Ruth use your good dishes. I know she appreciated it. I bet she likes her house. Isn't Jim's car almost paid for now or did he have more than a year to pay for it? You know it was just about a year ago that we came here. I stayed three weeks and then left for Washington.
Elmer is going to scout around for a better job in the spring. After he takes his exam for his Minnesota Engineer's license he will be better qualified. He is making under 400 so thinks he should see if he can do enough better to make a change worthwhile. According to the jobs listed in the papers, though, the salaries are getting lower. We already have had to buy oil two times for our new house. 200 gallons each time. It cost 27 dollars for 200 gallons and that only lasts for two weeks. I don't see how a poor man lives in this cold climate.
Yes, I plan to keep up with this typing after we move. It can't last very much longer as they have hired a lot of new girls and are getting more caught up so I want to earn the money while I can. I'm getting awfully mad at Miss Lindeberg, though, as I still haven't gotten paid for the month of December. Every time this last week when I have gone down to the office she has been out to lunch so I haven't had a chance to ask her about it. She owes me for almost two months now.
I think Mrs. Dahlstrom is awful too. She certainly did act horrid about Gladys seeing me and I don't intend to ever call her.
I gave Mary a Toni wave Saturday and it turned out nice and curly. I only left the curlers in one hour.
Elmer works until 9 tonight since it is Wednesday night. I have to get the kids to bed right away. They are undressed and in their pajamas and playing on the bed and getting wilder every minute.
I've been thinking of Gwen Winters lately so will try to get over to see her soon.
I want to write Aunt Mary a note tonight. I plan to go up there when Grandma goes. It will be best if she doesn't have to linger on too long now that she is in the condition she is.
Well Folks, I'm glad I have gotten this much written as it seems I never have time to write much. I hope you are all fine and I'm glad your business is still going good.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading