Sunday, November 23, 2008

6 6/11/1944 Sadie Erwin to Albert Erwin

Sadie Erwin
9007 South Elizabeth, Chicago, Illinois
Sunday, June 11, 1944
Albert Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Albert,
We got packed and left Lake Charles at 2:25 this afternoon. Got here to Monroe at nine tonight. Have a comfortable room at a hotel. Monroe is where Helen used to live. It is 220 miles from Lake Charles.
Everything has gone fine, only I though we never would get the car loaded and the apartment swept out. All Helen's friends had to call last night or this morning.
The ride up here was scenic. Saw a lot of oil wells one place and they were all pumping.
We left in the rain and ran out of it around Alexandria. It is cooler here as the hotel is air conditioned.
Received your letter Friday with the letter you forwarded about Mrs. Fields came Saturday. Will take care of it just as soon as I can. Will also answer your letter better when I get through. The ration board allowed us gas for 900 miles.
I tried to make reservations home the first of the week. The railroad called me Saturday and said they could not give me anything before July 10th. I'll see what I can do at Knoxville. If I can not do any better there I will go home through Chicago. That is the shortest way from Knoxville anyway.
Have you written Gladys? She is anxious to hear from you. They bought a house.
Hope you are feeling fine now.
With love, Sadie.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading