Sunday, November 30, 2008

153 3/29/1948 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
4008 Randall Avenue, St. Louis Park, Minneapolis 16, Minnesota
Monday, March 29, 1948
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
I'm going to start typing my labels in about two minutes but thought I would get a few lines off to you first. Did you have a nice Easter? We didn't do much of anything. I took the kids to Sunday School and I went to church and after church I went downstairs to get the children and bumped into Frances Woodfill and her husband and three boys. I sure was glad to see her. I thought she went to the church on Lagoon. We had a nice visit and the first free afternoon I have she wants me to come over. She said her father was fine and was at church too but I didn't see him. After church I made dinner and then since Elmer was anxious to get some painting done I took the kids to a show. We will be ready for our carpeting before very long. Saturday I bought curtains for the bedrooms and got them up and they look awfully nice. Now the bedrooms are fixed up pretty good, except the walls aren't painted yet. I want Elmer to paint the bathroom next as that is small and will be completed then.
I am going down to the office tomorrow and tell them I can't take so much work from now on. If they want to fire me that is o.k. too. I get paid five dollars a box, which is 500 labels. At first they gave us a box every other day, but now the delivery boy brings a box of 500 one noon and picks it up the next noon and leaves another box. At that rate I have been making five dollars a day but I can't get anything else done. Mary is invited to Leanne Haemig's birthday party Wednesday. She got the invitation through the mail so that made it especially exciting for her.
They are trying to bring religion into all the schools here now more than ever. Children will be excused from their classes to attend the services. Christian Science services were listed as being one of them. Christian Science is really getting strong here. The superintendent of schools lives two doors from us and he and his wife are C. S. His wife reads at that Bethlehem home here in St. Louis Park.
Well Folks, I have to quit and get busy. I have had lots of interruptions. Florence and Bob stopped over a few minutes and then Nellie brought a friend over to show her the house and Mr. Carlson is here now going over his house plan with Elmer. They are putting the foundation in now but it will still take a long time before their house is completed.
I had a nice letter from Gladys today. She certainly is a busy person. More later folks and when you see Stella tell her I will get a letter written soon. To Ruth too.
With Love, Helen
Morning - just eating breakfast. Elmer will mail this at work. It is snowing out and a strong cold wind blowing. Haven't heard the temperature yet.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading