Sunday, November 9, 2008

773 6/29/1943 Sadie Erwin to Albert Erwin

Sadie Erwin
Nortonia Hotel, Portland, Oregon
Tuesday, June 29, 1943
Albert Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Albert,
When I went out this morning the girl at the desk gave me your letter written Sunday. Was very glad to get it, also Helen's letter. Don't see why Jimmie hasn't written.
Today was lovely. I ate lunch on my way home and have been in my room all the afternoon. I go over my notes each day as soon as I come home. We take them so fast sometimes one is apt not to have it all down. Going over the notes while they are clear in one's mind helps.
I am glad Sunday was nice at Greenwater. It was nicer for Gladys to have you there for company while the boys went fishing. Stella must have stayed home with her two girls.
I wonder if Thims or Mrs. Christiansen got to see Jimmie while in California. I am going to write to Jimmie and urge him to write a little more often.
Glad to hear you and George at work are getting on together nicely and that he was able to stay the day instead of going home.
I ate an orange and roll in my room this morning. I am going to continue doing that, for it gives me more time, and I do not feel like eating much. I had lunch, but didn't care much for what the place had this noon. I have found another place around the corner from here in the opposite direction that I will try out tonight. I am going to enjoy my home food when I get back. They charge so much for everything and do not give you much. This noon I had a thin slice of roast pork. Could have put it all in my mouth at once, about a teaspoon of gravy, a tiny bite of lettuce shredded with nothing on it. I had to salt it to eat it, and two pieces of toast for 20 cents. This place is the cheapest place I have found but they have only one hot lunch dish and never have potatoes.
I found a beauty shop near here and had my hair set yesterday afternoon. Am glad I did for I felt a lot better today.
Haven't had any world news since coming down here. If the war ends suppose they will blow the whistles so I'll find it out that way.
Take good care of yourself and have what you want to eat. Have you opened the can of chicken yet?
With love, Sadie.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading