Wednesday, December 3, 2008

209 8/25/1950 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
4008 Randall Avenue, St. Louis Park, Minneapolis 16, Minnesota
Friday, August 25, 1950
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks:
I just got Mary and Jimmy to bed so will write to you now. All summer it has been nine or later before they go to bed so the evening seems pretty short. When school starts they will have to stop playing outside so late.
Yesterday Mrs. Dahlstrom called and wanted to know if it would be alright if she came over in the afternoon so I told her to come and I would meet her bus down at the corner. I hurried and baked some brownies to go with the coffee. We had a nice visit and I know she would have liked to stay for supper since Andrew works nights and she has nothing to go home for but I just didn't have a thing to fix except some left-over pot roast so I didn't ask her. She went over to Edna's instead. I took her over so saw and talked to Edna for a few minutes too. I guess Glad and Cully will be staying with Dahlstroms when they come in December because Mrs. Dahlstrom said she wouldn't have it otherwise. I wonder how long Wally will be staying out there. I guess Ralph plans to ride back with him for a little vacation. The weather is still cold but I like it this way much better. The weather hasn't been good for the ones who like to swim a lot and get tan, though.
I washed and waxed and cleaned the car up today so it looks much better than it did.
Last night the neighborhood mother's club met for their monthly meeting. We played cards last night and I went and enjoyed it but left before refreshments as it was eleven o'clock when we stopped playing cards and I'm just no good the next day if I've been up real late the night before.
So many people are moving out of our neighborhood as two or three Jewish families got in. Now it seems like there are almost as many Jews as Gentiles because they keep buying the houses that the people are moving out of.
The day Mrs. Dahlstrom came over she brought me two nice baby blankets.
Here I haven't gotten your letter mailed yet and a nice one came from you today so I will add on to this one and Elmer will mail it in the morning. It has rained all day today and I love rainy days. I washed clothes and hung them in the basement. Your trip to Paradise sounded wonderful. The kids loved hearing about the deer and how you fed them bread. I wish they could have been along. I hope you got over your cold o.k. Mother. I had a terrible one too and it went through all the different stages and today was the first day I felt really good in two weeks. I will try to call Mrs. Ellsworth tomorrow and talk to her and will tell you what she has to say. I had a letter from Doris Ducret today and she said they didn't get to Seattle after all as they had planned. George has been out on jobs most of the time and is working in Washington now.
I advertised my electric stove for three days and had some calls but no one ever did come out to look at it. This is a hard place to find, though, if you're not familiar with the park. I don't think I'll bother advertising it any more but we'll just keep it down in the basement where it is out of the way. I'll bet you are kind of glad Trail Days are over with. Wish I had been out there for it again this year. Well, Folks, I have a library book to read tonight so guess I will go to bed and read. School starts next Tuesday. It will seem funny to have both kids gone all day.
Love, Helen
Here's another stamp.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading