Tuesday, November 25, 2008

38 9/5/1944 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
382 Robertsville Road, Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Tuesday, September 05, 1944
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
We've been playing chess and listening to Bob Hope. I finally beat Elmer for the first time. Sunday we went on a picnic up to Norris Dam. We brought a picnic lunch and had a nice time. We got home about six and the Deans stopped over as they were going for a walk. They had planned on going down to the cafeteria to eat so Jimmie and I went with them and Elmer stayed home with Mary. When we got back we started playing bridge and didn't quit until midnight and then Elmer brought them home.
I don't have a nurse girl anymore as Mary Frances turned out to be a fire bug and we're glad we found out about it before something terrible happened. Every time after she had been here I found burned matches all over. They were always burned way down to the end and just thrown down on the floor. I mentioned it to her one day but she didn't say anything and I kept on finding the matches so then before going out I went through the house and picked up any match boxes there were around and hid them all. Friday morning I went shopping and forgot the stores didn't open until noon so came home again. Mary Frances heard me and ran to the kitchen door to meet me and I paid her and she left. I walked into the living room and she had just been burning paper under the card table. There were burned matches all over and one had started to burn in the rug. I went in the bathroom and there were more burned matches on the floor and the wash bowl was full of burned paper. I went out to the car in a few minutes and Mary Frances was going by with her girl friend so I called her over and asked her if she liked to burn matches and she said yes. I asked her why, and she said just for something to do. I bawled her out and tried to make her realize what a terrible thing that was to do and told her I would never dare leave her here again. I'm going to tell her mother too because that is really serious when a child gets to be 15 years old and does things like that. I asked her if her folks let her do things like that at home but she didn't answer me.
So Cully is going to play hockey again. I'm glad the kids have a house so Jeannie and Ruthie will be able to get outside more.
How does Bernice like school? Jimmie wishes he could go since Doug does. I give Mary pablum now but she still spits most of it out but I suppose she will learn how to eat pretty soon. Do you remember the little blue shoes with white fur on them that you brought me that Jeannie had had. They are just darling and I've been waiting for Mary to grow into them and I tried them on her yesterday and they are almost too small. I wish I knew how much she weighed and am going to take her up to Deans soon and weigh her on their bathroom scales.
Friday night I'm getting a permanent. I have to go after Elmer gets home from work so he can stay with Jimmie and Mary. I have my roll of films all ready to send in to be developed. I can hardly wait to see them and will send you a copy. The Hartmans are here now but don't have a house yet so moved in with the Deans. Esther doesn't like that very much and I don't blame her because Jeanne Hartman didn't act very nice to her in Lake Charles. I had a letter from the Lake Charles telephone Company forwarded to me today telling me they could give me a telephone now.
Well Folks I would like to go on writing but have been staying up so late I would like to get to bed a little early tonight. Do you still have that canvas jumping chair. I think Mary could use it already as she loves to stand on her feet. You're going to hate to see mail from me because I'm always asking for something. I'll try to write more tomorrow, folks, so goodnight for now.
With Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading