Saturday, October 25, 2008

305 1/22/1937 Gladys Erwin to Sadie Erwin

Gladys Erwin
4207 Grand Avenue South, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Friday, January 22, 1937
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks:
Got your nice letter yesterday Mother and we were sorry to hear you were not feeling well. I hope by now you are all over your cough.
I am so excited I can't remember much you said in your letter. I told you how we have been looking around for a place to move. Well I rented an apartment this noon. It is in the Elmer Apartments on 3rd Ave and Franklin in the same building that Eden and Wally live. It is very nice. It will be $30.00 a month but the refrigerator is on the apartment meter so our gas and lights will be only $1.00 each every month. We will not have a phone, at least for a while. We will move in February 1st. I'll have to give the Pearson's notice tonight.
The apartment consists of a small living room with a big archway into the dining room (built-in buffer too). The two rooms together will be swell. The kitchen is very tiny but O.K. - a lot of cupboard space - small bathroom and small bedroom. Cully and Kenny drove me over this noon to look at the place. Kenny is the fellow that got married New Year's and went to Chicago with us. His folks have a bed and a couple of dressers they are not using. He said I could have my pick to use. I'll have Elmer get my dining room set again. We will have my cedar chest, 2 night tables, the bridge lamp and all of our other little things. We should be able to manage fine. I may even have the piano moved back as long as Mr. Quinn wouldn't charge un anything. He told us when he took it that when the time came that we wanted it he would move it free. Jack Flood - one of the hockey players - dad is a wholesale furniture dealer. We might buy a studio couch from him. If so we can get a $25.00 one for $8.75 - 65% discount. We have our sheets, pillows, bedding, towels, etc. too. Our bedding doesn't amount to much but apartments are so warm we wouldn't need any more. There are 3 big closets in the place so we can take care of everything without using the store room. I'm glad we have our iron and ironing board.
I hope you will feel that our move is O.K. I am awfully tickled about it. I can walk to and from work every day and we can both take our lunches. We will make good use of the ... you sent home with Helen. we will like cooking our own meals again. I will see that we eat good too. We both have learned a lot and know better than to waste even one drop of anything that is left over - so it shouldn't be so awfully expensive.
You had better send our mail to the office until we get settled. This is all about the apartment but I'm sure you will be glad to hear all about it. The 1st is on a Monday but he said we can move in on Saturday and Sunday if we want to.
Love, Gladys

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading