Wednesday, October 29, 2008

387 2/25/1939 Gladys Dahlstrom to Sadie Erwin

Gladys Dahlstrom
Hotel Guyon, 4000 Washington Blvd, Chicago, Illinois
Saturday, February 25, 1939
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks:
It is a dark gloomy day and looks like either snow or rain.
Our boys came home last night after losing two more games. I surely do feel sorry for them because they really are trying hard. Thursday another one of them (Bob Gracie) was sent down to Cleveland. In spite of the hard breaks, Cully has had a good year. In the last 5 games he has gotten 6 points. To me and many others too, he is the best on the team. He should get a very good contract for next year. It will make it pretty nice for us if he does.
We may be leaving Chicago in 3 weeks. That isn’t very far away now. We will be in Minneapolis at least a couple of weeks before we start west.
It certainly is a shame that Marian Harris had to go. I imagine the accident happened right in Minneapolis?
Yes, we were at the Barn Dance last Saturday. I was hoping you listened to it. I enjoyed it a lot. It lasted 2 hours. Listen for the Maple City Tour because we have gotten to know those boys real well.
Did you see Hazel Wednesday? That’s one trip we want to make this summer too.
I’ve been taking gym over at the Athletic Club. I’ve been awfully sore and stiff the last couple of days but we do have fun. We are also learning to play badminton and go swimming. I even took 2 steam baths. All these things are included in the $5.00 membership dues.
Tonight we are having two of the boys down for dinner. I’m going to have a big pot of stew, some dessert and that’s all.
There has been a terrible lot of flu around here and many, many deaths in Chicago. I’ve been doing a lot of protective thinking. Only 1 player had it but last Saturday while we were at the barn dance Cully started to get sick. He couldn’t see straight, he had such a headache on the way home. He started to sweat and got sick to his stomach. When he got home he lost his supper. I fixed him an eggnog and put him to bed. He went right to sleep and felt just fine in the morning. He couldn’t understand it but I truly felt that the work I was trying to do was the reason. He just can’t get sick. I haven’t gone to church much and do not talk science to Cully but have done a lot of thinking, some reading and do feel as though we have both been protected all winter.
Polly was over Wednesday night. I had been working hard on my afghan but she said I was doing it too tight so I had to start all over. I can’t finish it here but will have all summer to work on it.
Last Tuesday night there were 22 famous bands at the Stadium. We had tickets so 3 of us girls went down. There were 60,000 people there so we didn’t stay long but did see Paul Whiteman, Wayne King, Bob Crosby, Fred Waring, Henry Bussy and others.
Well I will close again. It won’t be long now before we’ll be seeing you.
Love, Gladys.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading