Saturday, October 25, 2008

308 2/10/1937 Gladys Erwin to Sadie Erwin

Gladys Erwin
Sears, Roebuck And Co., Minneapolis, Minnesota
Wednesday, February 10, 1937
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks:
Whenever I write to you at the office I never put on the heading until I am all through. That is because if someone comes up to my desk and looks to see what I am doing they will not see who it is to. It isn’t any of their business. I suppose I just got in a hurry and forgot when I finished the letter you told us about.
It was 19° below this morning so I did not walk. I about froze my legs waiting for a street car. They were all tied up and I had to wait quite a while. I hope Helen got along O. K. making connections on Lake Street. I suppose Helen told you Cully got home Monday and was over. Vi had come from work and helped me finish the drapes. (Cully and I took her home about 10.) They really do look nice and improve the apt. about 100%. No I do not need any more curtains Tonight I am going out with Don again. He will pick me up at 4:30 – take me out to dinner and then to a show. I hope it will be to the Minnesota because “Lloyds of London” is there and it is supposed to be very good.
I went to the game in St. Paul last night. St. Louis beat them 3-0. Cully wanted to come over tonight again but I told him I had a date. It was O.K., though, and he said he’d take me to the game Friday night. He said he’d like to go to Banff this summer because several of the Canadian hockey players live up around there. He said I could go along and if I wanted to take Helen too it would be O.K. and then we’d drive way to the Coast. It wouldn’t be bad and going west and to see you folks always sounds good. I don’t suppose it would look right, though, so would be impossible. What do you think? I think we should take Elmer along too – all quit our jobs and find new ones out there. That would be perfect. Elmer should be able to get some kind of a survey job there. That is what he is waiting for.
Sunday night Vi and I went to the Candy Bar with Helen, Elmer, Betty, Andy, Warnie and M___. I saw a fellow there I knew that had to go over to St. Paul to pick up his mother and so he brought Vi home. She was all thrilled and hopes he will call her. He is a nice fellow and I hope too that he will.
I am anxious to hear what you do about the dress shop. Besides expenses do you think you could make a nice salary for yourself? Guess I’d better go out and help you run it. I’d surely like to. That would be better than office work. I still can’t say I like what I am doing. I don’t care for my boss either so would like to quit.
There is a lecture here Thursday night at the auditorium. I do not know who by but if it isn’t too cold Helen and I will go. It is only about 6 blocks to walk.
There is a new beauty shop in the Windsor Apts. On the corner of 3rd and Franklin. They are giving free shampoos with every fingerwave. I went over last night and I liked their work very much. Their prices are the same as the Fashion, 25¢ for everything. When I left they gave me a cute little sample bottle of perfume. That certainly was a lot for 1 quarter.
Did we tell you our phone was connected last Thursday? The number is Maine 2951. It is a hand set and in my name for no extra cost. Larry fixed it up some way.
While the boys were on the road one of them decided to get married in Tulsa. He has been seeing the girl every trip for the last several years but had made no plans. It surprised everyone. Emil is about 30 and one of the Canadians that has a farm in Calgary. Cully says she is a peach of a girl. They had to buy a dime store ring for the ceremony and he had to borrow money to pay the minister. They had a lot of fun and, of course, razzed the daylights out of both of them. He left her there so she could give her boss proper notice and pack her clothes, etc. He will get an apartment and their next trip down at the end of the month he will bring her back here. The kids are planning a nice party for them now. I suppose the girls will all get together and have a shower for her too. Cully and one other fellow are the only single ones left on the team. The St. Paul paper had a write up of Emil’s wedding and then mentioned the two bachelors and added in big letters, “But – Cully is slipping.” Of course they are all kidding and laughing at us now. I don’t know how the newspapers get a hold of those things.
I haven’t heard from Bill in over a week. He says he is too busy to write very often. He still likes it there, though, and enjoys his work too.
Well it is almost 4:30 so I must stop and go upstairs so I can comb my hair and fix up a little bit as long as I am going out.
Mother – we will send you a Valentine but it might be a day or so late.
Love, Gladys

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading