Saturday, October 25, 2008

303 1/20/1937 Gladys Erwin to Sadie Erwin

Gladys Erwin
4207 Grand Avenue South, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Wednesday, January 20, 1937
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks:
You should see it snow. It is pretty but will tie up traffic a lot. It was 17 above zero when I left this morning. The wind is blowing too so we will have drifts.
I went skating again last night with Cully at Loring Park. We stayed for about an hour - then went to the La Salle and saw, "If I Had a Million."
Tonight we girls bowl. After that Irma and I are going to a skating party at the Arena with two fellows she knows. I was out with this Dan once before, quite a while ago. He works for the Northern States Power Co. and they are giving the party. Cully plays tonight in St. Paul and here tomorrow night. I may go to the game here tomorrow.
We drove Helen over to Eden's last night - they brought her home later. She doesn't see Eden very often any more.
There is still a lot of sickness around. The hospitals in both Minneapolis and St. Paul are full. Of course, that is all we hear.
We are still at Pearson's and probably will be for a while. Every small apartment in town seems to be full. We have looked at housekeeping rooms but they are awful. Most of them are dirty with goofy-looking furniture, hard beds, etc.
If I had my loan paid off and could afford to quit my job, I'd certainly go west.
I think Helen and I should stay where we are for another month - that is March 1st and then move into something nice even if we have to pay a little more. We should be able to get some kind of an apartment for $30.00. We could now if we wanted to live in a bad neighborhood.
I have to think about entertaining my club soon. Helen Brust has no place to take the girls either so we may go together on the expenses and take them to the Rainbow or Hasty Tasty on Lake St. For 35¢ a girl they serve a nice plate lunch of some kind or give us the use of a room where we can play cards all evening. It would be something different too for the girls and a lot less work for us even though we had our own homes.
Stella's letter was swell. We know she is busy but wish she could write more often.
I will have to get some ski practice in so I will know how to stand up on a pair when I get out west. Earle has a pair that he would probably let me use out in the back yard.
We are not at all busy in the Voucher Department and my other work seems to have run out too. It makes the day go terribly slow.
Enough for today. I'll let you know tomorrow how I got along with bowling and skating.
Love, Gladys

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading