Tuesday, November 25, 2008

17 7/11/1944 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
Box 1310, Knoxville, Tennessee
Tuesday, July 11, 1944
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
Everyone is in bed at last so I will write to you as this seems to be the only time during the whole day I can sit down and do as I like. Mary is still such a good baby though, otherwise I don't think I would ever get my work done. This morning I went downtown at ten and got back about noon and she was still sleeping and I had to wake her up at 1:30 to feed her. Tomorrow morning I am taking Jimmie to the barber shop. I suppose there will be 50 people waiting.
Sunday we went for the nicest ride around the reservation and I wished so much you were with us. We were driving along a winding road going up a big hill and the car in front of us stopped and turned around. When we got up to where that car was there was a big sign saying restricted area keep out. At the top of the hill I could see a guard. Elmer said maybe there was anti-aircraft up there, or maybe a person could get too good a view of the plant. Anyway they weren't letting anyone get to the top of the hill. Elmer got my camera Sunday and I'll send you a copy of the pictures when I get them. I hope the one I have of you, Mom, turned out good.
Today the quarterly came and the check. I wish you hadn't sent it but I'm going to buy you something when I see something you would like.
You may think this is silly, Mom, but I'm sending your pin to Glad for her to take to the jewelers for me since I can't get it fixed here and I don't know when I will get into Knoxville. It won't take long to fix. The little tiny pin that held the stick pin to the fastener came out. I'm sending it to Glad because I don't want to send it back to you broken.
Every time Jimmie hurts himself he says - go away lie. Elmer asked him if that made his hurt feel better and Jimmie said it did. He wants to go to Sunday school so Elmer is going to ask at work tomorrow, if he remembers, where the C. S. Church is. We thought we could find it so I could go last Sunday but we couldn't. I'll be so glad if Jimmie can go to Sunday school because he loves being talked to and it would do him good to see other children.
Last night we stopped over to see the Deans. Their furniture was to come today so all this time all they have had in their house is one chair, besides the beds so we sat around on the floor and Esther made lemonade. It rained hard last night so was a cool night to sleep and is cool tonight but not cool enough for a sheet.
Today the lady in the next house was hanging out some clothes and Jimmie kept hollering out the window to her - you better not do that lady. I kept telling him to say hi to her instead but he wouldn't. I wish he would get someone to play with because he is right under my feet all day long and about drives me crazy. When I go to the toilet he follows me right in and pulls his red car up in front of the toilet and sits on it and says he is going to help me. I finally used the flour up I had in there so keep my new bag up on the pantry shelf now.
Well Folks I want to write to Jim tonight so had better stop but I hope you're fine Pop and I hope, Mom, you are getting some sleep. Thanks for the quarterly. I'll make good use of it.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading