Saturday, November 1, 2008

709 2/8/1942 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
Box 582 Newburyport, Massachusetts
Sunday, February 08, 1942
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
The storm is gone now and it is a beautiful day out. The sun is shining and it is warm and just like spring. We certainly did have terrible stormy weather for a couple of days and nights. The wind blew so hard and yesterday the electricity went off because some of the wires were blown down. The milkman had said a hurricane was on the way but it seems he was wrong. I didn’t go to church today because our car has to stand outside and since it had been raining and the wind blowing so hard it got wet inside and won’t start but as soon as it gets dried out it will be all right. Last night we went over to Ducret’s and had a very nice time. We played monopoly and that was fun. They are coming over this afternoon and I am going to have them stay for supper tonight and plan to have sandwiches and cocoa and cake and jello. George Ducret just came over a couple of minutes ago to see if Elmer wanted to ride into town with him to see if there was any mail so he just left. We are crazy about our cottage. This is the first time we have lived in a house all by ourselves. All the other times it has been apartments and rooms. Mr. Blakey, our landlord, came over this morning to measure the front door for a storm door because the old one is broken. He liked the way I had our place fixed. It was a lot of hard work getting it fixed up because it was awfully dirty when we moved in and the people who moved out had left old junk all over the place.
Yesterday I got a letter from the hospital saying they would have a place reserved for me around the 21st of April. I still can’t believe that I could be getting such a letter because it just seems impossible that I am going to have a baby. The total hospital fee is 63 dollars for two weeks and we have to pay it before I can even get in. If I don’t stay the whole two weeks some of it will be refunded. This table I am typing on is in front of the front window and I can look out and see the waves splashing up on the rocks. They must be awfully big today. I just love it here and don’t like to even think that we might have to move. A lot of cars are going by so I suppose lots of people are coming down to their cottage today to fix them up since it is so nice out. I get my milk delivered every other day because there is a milkman from town who comes out and this morning a man came with the Sunday paper so that makes it nice. Yesterday Elmer and George went into town to do the shopping. I bought enough groceries to last for several days so I won’t have to drive in everyday. I’ll get my mail every day though because Elmer and George go to the post office every morning. Elmer read in the paper this morning that there is not much chance of there being a hockey league next year since most of the players are Canadian. I hope Cully and Glad will get out to Washington anyway so Cully can look for work out there. He probably has more chances of getting work in Minneapolis but he might be able to get something out there and I know they would both rather live out there.
Well I just have to walk over to the water because those breakers look so huge and I see the little girl next door is outside playing so will take her with me. Will write more later folks and I sure wish you could come and see me.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading