Tuesday, November 25, 2008

42 9/30/1944 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
382 Robertsville Road, Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Saturday, September 30, 1944
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
Jimmie and Mary are in bed so I'll write to you now. Mother, I guess you didn't ever get the Spanish moss. I was sure that Mr. Garrett would send it and maybe he did but maybe the old Negro caretaker didn't. I haven't seen Mr. Garrett since so haven't been able to ask him about it. Those films I sent into Walgreens in Knoxville to be developed still haven't been sent back to me and it is about three weeks now so I wrote to them yesterday asking about them. My things just came from New York today so I will get your present sent Monday. I had just written them a card too. Our car is back in the garage again and hope they fix it up this time. I guess the fly wheel gear was broken. I certainly have lots of brown shoe laces now and thanks very, very much. I put some in Jimmie's shoes today as the ones he had were almost too short to tie. It is wonderful having some decent pants for him to wear. They fit him just swell.
Mary certainly knows how to handle a rattle. She hangs onto it all the time she is awake. She eats all the baby foods now and loves to eat. She likes the Gerber's oatmeal but I couldn't get the pablum down her.
Since Jeanne Hartman has been here I have been taking care of her two now and then while she got her badge and things. She is going to take care of Jimmie and Mary Tuesday while I play bridge next door at Edith's. I'm going to try and get a school girl to come later so Jeanne won't have to stay all afternoon although she said she would be glad to.
I told you I had written to Mrs. Gillard the other day. She answered right away and said she didn't do much canning as peaches were so high. She said she was glad you canned blackberries for me and she sounded so nice. They are having a new roof put on the garage apartment and an attic fan put in and new wallpaper. Maybe they just intend to but if they do they will be able to get a lot more rent and that place will still be just an old dump.
I have some fudge on cooking and one of these days I will make some for you folks. Tomorrow we are going to Hartmans for dinner. They have to come after us on account of our car being in the garage. We have to miss Sunday school again too but should surely have the car by next Sunday. Thanks for the Quarterly. Look at all the things you buy me and then you don't want me to send any postage. Hartmans brought their roaches up here with them as they had their own furniture and of course the roaches have eggs all over. Jeanne doesn't think they will last long though because they move along so slowly. When we were up there one time Elmer said he saw them crawling around the kitchen wall. I sure am glad I didn't bring any with me from the garage apartment.
Sunday Night
We were up at Hartmans for dinner and then went for a ride later on. After the ride we came back here and I fixed us something to eat and then we played bridge. Hartmans are just learning.
Tuesday I am going over to Edith's for a bridge party and Jeanne is going to come over here and stay with Mary and Jimmie. I am going to have them for dinner that night too. Wednesday my neighbor on the other side is having a birthday party for her year-old little girl. She asked me to bring Jimmie and Mary over. I'm having Jeanne's children that afternoon so said I couldn't come but she said to bring them too. I thought I would probably send Jimmie and Mary over.
I had a letter from Johnny Hinch in Minneapolis today. She said she had heard Betty Anderson has been awfully sick with heart trouble and can't even do a thing around the house.
I had better stop for this time but will write more later.
Love, Helen
P.S. We sure are enjoying the jam. We have it for every meal.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading