Monday, November 17, 2008

596 5/24/1944 Stella Benson to Sadie Erwin

Stella Benson
1204 Lafromboise St., Enumclaw, Washington
Wednesday, May 24, 1944
Sadie Erwin
1414 Cole St., Lake Charles, Louisiana

Dear Mother & Helen,
I just read the letters you have written to Pop. I’m sure glad that everything has been going so nice.
Helen, how are you feeling? It shouldn’t be long now before it will be all over with. Faye Madison had a 7 lb and few oz baby girl last Friday. Everything went swell and she sure is feeling good. Harold and I rode down to Auburn Monday night with Hank to see her. Don’t know if you had heard that Dora had a baby boy.
I had a phone call from Corinne Fontaine a little while ago and she said they were coming over to see me. So I rushed around and fixed the house up and also Sandy and myself so we are now waiting for them to come.
Bernice got her permanent Monday and it looks just darling. It cost me $6.50 but it sure makes her look nice.
Saturday night Harold and I went to Kirkland to see Lois and Pat Bruhn. We had a nice time. We left Kirkland about 3 A.M. to come home. On the outskirts of Kirkland we picked up three soldiers. They had been in the service for 29 months and just got back from Att__. They had to be at Ft. Lawton at five. They said they just had to be there or they wouldn’t get their furloughs to go home. That road is awfully dark and lonely between Renton and Kirkland and all of a sudden they started whispering. The chills just ran up and down my back. I gave Harold a kick. He was feeling the same way so started driving real fast. I told the boys we would just love to take them to camp but we didn’t have enough gas to get very far. They didn’t do anything then, but Harold and I were just positive they were getting ready to hit us over the head or something.
Saturday I went over your house, Mother, but haven’t been back since. Will try to go over it again Friday.
Pop had dinner with us Saturday night and Sunday. We like having him.
Corinne and her husband came. We had a very nice afternoon. I made coffee and served cookies. They left at 5:30 and Pop had just come when Miss Bloom came over for a minute. She said that Bernice will be in the smartest group in the first grade.
I received your telegram this afternoon. We sure were tickled to hear about the baby. I’m so glad it was a girl. We all are anxious to hear the details. You sure did time it close. I’ll bet Helen was glad when you arrived. How is Helen doing?
Had better close now and get at the dishes. Pop will mail this for me.
Lots of Love, Stella

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading