Wednesday, November 26, 2008

66 4/29/1945 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
382 Robertsville Road, Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Sunday, April 29, 1945
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
I just put some water on for coffee and while I'm waiting for that to boil I'll start a letter to you. Edith and Nep came over for a few minutes tonight and we tried to teach them what we have learned in the jitterbug. Edith is trying to get Nep to go to the class Tuesday night but so far he can't be talked into it.
Last night for awhile we though the war was over. It's awful for rumors to get started like that when they aren't true. It must be getting close to the end though. Wouldn't it be wonderful if Japan would give up when it is over in Germany.
I had a letter from Uncle Carl and Aunt Hilda the other day and they sent me a clipping from the paper written by Teddy Matz over in Germany. The asked me to send it on to Glad and then she will send it to you and you send it to Jim. I still think of Teddy as a little kid. Isn't that a shame about Fanchon though. I surely hope she will get well soon. She always looked so healthy but I guess this came on quite sudden didn't it.
I'm almost finished with cleaning the walls and ceilings. Did I tell you I painted the kitchen table and chairs and put those transfer designs on them and the set looks brand new. I am so pleased with everything that I have done that it makes the work worthwhile. I can't let the children play under the house anymore because there are great big rats around. The exterminators have been out twice and killed a couple and put poison under all the walks around here and under the coal bins but a few days ago my next door neighbor said two big ones were playing under our house. I don't dare even let Mary out in the yard at all by herself now. The exterminators are supposed to come out again tomorrow. They found a nest of rats down about five houses from us. They went in and asked the people if they knew they were there and the people said, oh yes, that they had so much fun tossing bread to them every night and watching them fight over it. They said they were as tame as cats. I can't imagine such crazy people but in a place like this you never know what kind of people you are going to live by. The men bawled them out and made them get out in their yard and clean up all the garbage they had thrown around.
Yes I could use the blue cord suit that was Jimmie's but there is no hurry in sending it. I keep Mary in overalls a lot to save on her dresses especially during this housecleaning and she could wear the jacket a lot I think. I had forgotten about that suit.
It is a shame that Gertrude lost her baby. That must be a terrible disappointment. I got the pictures from Glad and I think they are wonderful. She looks so good and she has two darling little girls. When I step back from the picture a little Ruthie and Jeannie look just alike but I think Ruthie looks exactly like Glad did when she was that age, do you. I wonder if Warren was stationed in Lake Charles when I was there. I would loved to have seen him.
Yes, Mom I certainly do need house dresses although I would keep them for going to the store instead of working around the house in. When the real hot weather comes, in fact I have already started it, and that is wearing shorts. But I could use some wash dresses to put on when I want to go some place. I used to wear a size twelve but am down to a nine now although a ten will fit me. That reminds me tell Stella if she still thinks she wears a size twelve to be sure and try a ten next time she buys a dress because I always thought twelve was my size but my clothes didn't fit me as good as they could and when I went to buy my coat I couldn't find one that fitted right but still didn't even think of trying a smaller size until the clerk suggested it. The dress you brought me when you came to see me is still good and it washes very nicely. I've always liked that dress and Elmer still comments on it when I have it on.
Last week I went to Harriman with Edith which is a nice size town about twenty miles from here. There we were able to get margarine and also meat and it was really good. We still haven't gotten our tires and will be lucky if we get them since they have cut the quota way down but the company is going to see if they can't make the army put up a fight for more tires. Elmer gets a vacation, two weeks, from this job. I sure wish we could get out to Enumclaw. We don't plan to do a thing though and I think he will take just one week and we'll just take it easy and it we have tires by then we can drive up to the dam one day and do things like that. We could go up to Gatlinburg, which is the resort up in the Smokies. Remember we went there one Sunday with Hartmans but I didn't think much of it, although it is pretty there but then I'm sure when it is terribly hot here I won't even want to go up there with the two children. It would be more work than rest. I know I will be crazy about the doily that you crocheted for me. The chair back set makes my room look so nice. I put it away this winter because the soot seemed to rot everything but now that I have my furniture cleaned and the room in good condition I have it on the chair again. I can't even own a doily. Yes I bet I did leave that salad set at Plum Island. That was a terrible thing to do, to leave that box behind. Thank goodness you packed for me this last time because I found then that although it is easier to leave everything behind it is plenty nice having those things in the next place. We still haven't gotten a settlement for Elmer's suit but he is supposed to stop in there again this coming Wednesday.
The neighbor who tried to commit suicide is up and around now and her husband seems to be holding no grudges. He works so hard over there although he is going to work now but does everything else when he gets home. This girl said the other day that she decided she wants the baby now so hopes nothing has harmed it. It must be nice to think you can turn your emotions on and off like that.
Elmer did pretty good in the tournament but didn't win. He said he had enough chess to last him for a long time but right now he has the card table up and is playing by himself.
If you need toilet tissue I can get that for you here, as I have noticed no shortage at all. Would you like me to get several rolls.
Well Folks, the coffee has been done for quite awhile now so guess I better stop and pour it. It is after ten and I want to get to bed a little early tonight if possible but I take after you I guess by always staying up late at night. We have had a lot of rain this week and colder weather and have to have a fire and I keep watching the ceilings but so far I don't notice any black on them.
I'm mailing you a package tomorrow, Mom, for Mother's Day. I can't believe it is almost May and that a year ago at this time you were getting ready to come down to Lake Charles. I don't know what I would have done without you. You certainly came when I needed you the most. Maybe I can get home after this job, at any rate I'm talking it up already to break Elmer in on the idea. They say we will be here through this fall, or not later than January.
Well Folks, I guess I'll stop for now but I'll write more later. I wrote to Jim last night and want to write to Glad and Uncle Carl tomorrow night. Goodnight for now.
With Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading