Saturday, November 1, 2008

711 2/14/1942 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
Box 582 Newburyport, Massachusetts
Saturday, February 14, 1942
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Plum Island
Dear Folks,
Yesterday I had a nice letter from you and today the package came. The little sweater is just darling and so are the ___. Now don’t send me anything more because you and Stella have both done so much. I like getting all my things out and look at them. Now I am getting awfully anxious to be able to use them. Thanks just loads for the present, Mom. The apron is awfully cute and you should have kept it for yourself, Mother, but I sure am glad to have it. Today I took a so-called bath by way of the dish pan and put on the dress Stella sent me that she wore and then when Elmer came home from work at noon with the package I wore the apron and I really felt dressed up. I’ll wear these wool stockings all the time here except when I go into town. They will be so much warmer and then I’ll save on my good ones too. This afternoon Elmer and I went into town for groceries and the wind had died down so it felt quite nice out. The wind blew so awfully hard all night last night and stopped for about an hour this morning and then started in again but stopped this afternoon. This morning I washed out a pair of stockings and thought they would dry in a hurry outside in the wind so I went out and they froze before I even got them up to the line so I brought them inside.
Today I had a card from Rose Hemmings in Atlanta, and she said they are now living in a little town in Mississippi. The only place they could find to live in was a house with no modern conveniences. We are glad we were the ones to be sent here instead of there. It could have been just the other way around.
I bet you were tired, Mother, after driving Jim to Ellensburg. You should be very careful about picking up men when you are all by yourself. I’ve often wondered, Pop, how you could do all the driving when we went on trips because I think it is hard work.
It seems like you have Bernice and Sandra there a lot. Is Sandra good when she is away from home?
Well Folks, I will finish this tomorrow but now I am going to get ready for bed and read for a while.
Love, Helen
By the way, you sent so many things in the package today I forgot to mention the smock but I sure am glad to have it and I’ve go it on right now.
Sunday Afternoon
We are going into town now to the post office and maybe go to the show. More tomorrow.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading