Sunday, November 23, 2008

612 6/6/1944 Gladys Dahlstrom to Helen Carlson

Gladys Dahlstrom
9007 South Elizabeth, Chicago, Illinois
Tuesday, June 06, 1944
Helen Carlson
1414 Cole St., Lake Charles, Louisiana

Dear Helen & Mother,
We moved into our new house Sunday. Last night (Monday) Evelyn brought me your letter and I sure was glad to hear from you.
I’d love to see that baby and believe me I plan to before too long. Jeannie should be trained soon and Knoxville isn’t so terribly far away. Be sure you send me your new address soon. At least you will know where I am now.
I don’t know if I’ve told you anything about our house or not. It is a 5 room brick bungalow – 18 years old on a tiny lot but has a two car garage and fenced in back yard for the kids – full basement – high attic storage space and a screened and windowed sleeping porch. The whole place needs a good cleaning but otherwise is in fine order. I think we should be real happy here. We are 12 miles south of the loop but Cully takes the Rock Island train to work ( 3 blocks away) and gets down in 25 minutes so that isn’t bad at all. His hours are 8:30 to 5:15 so we can eat at 6 every evening. I am also only 3 blocks from a nice shopping district and just across the street from school. Ruthie spends most of the day on the front steps watching the kids or waiting for them to come out. We are near the Sporrers, Murphys, Dunnes, Hildreths and O’Learys so should not be lonesome. Of course we will be too busy to see much of anyone but it is nice to know you have friends near.
We bought a beautiful refrigerator. It is a large Crosby Shelvador and looks so nice. We are using our camp stove until we find a stove. I bought an old singer sewing machine for $10.00. A davenport and chair set and an occasional chair for $50.00. A walnut occasional table for $8.00. I am going out to look at a dining room set Saturday. Also bought Ruthie a twin bed and dresser and lamp. I bought a cute kitchen set of dishes – they are white with tiny red flowers. We can think of dozens of things we wish we had out west. Later on I will have mother send a box or so. Cully says we could easily fill up the trailer again. We are having new inlay linoleum put in our kitchen – also ordering Venetian blinds for 3 rooms. Humberstones gave us enough for my kitchen and back bedroom. I want to buy a carpet for my living and dining rooms all in one. It will take us a long time to really get settled. I sure do want a washing machine too. Cully likes his job although so far he hasn’t had much to do. They put him in the Personnel Department and will send him to school starting the 12th for about 3 weeks. Later he will be sent to Wisconsin someplace for another couple of weeks. It sounds very much like they are grooming him for a fine job.
it has been terribly hot here until today. Now it is quite cool which is a real treat. I wish Mother was returning via Chicago but know she will be anxious to get on so she can go to her association. It sure is swell she could make the trip south. Haven’t had one word from Pop so wonder how he is making out. Also I’ve wondered so much about Jim. Have you heard anything at all from him? Please write again soon. I know you are busy so just a few lines will do.
Our new address is
9007 So. Elizabeth
Chicago, Ill.
Had a letter from Beryl Hoey sent to the Guyon. They will be here the 30th. I will write inviting them to stay with us.
Love to you both, Gladys.
How does little Jimmie like the baby sister? I will send her something after you get moved.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading