Monday, November 17, 2008

576 4/15/1944 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
1414 Cole St., Lake Charles, Louisiana
Saturday, April 15, 1944
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
I’m over at the park with Jimmie and while he is playing in the sand I’ll write to you. I finished two seersucker sun suits for him and hope to get more made. He wears a blouse under them now but won’t have to much longer as it is really hot this afternoon.
I’ve been wondering so much about you Pop? Are you having a hard time of it. Or are you getting well? I certainly hope the next letter I get will say you are back to work. Mom I was wondering if I should look around for a woman to help me out if you aren’t sure about coming on account of Pop. There are only six weeks left so should do something soon. If I can hire a practical nurse I could always use her for a few days even though you were able to come. I surely hope you can come, Mom. If you think you will be able to you should make your reservations right away and then you can always cancel them later if you want to.
Sunday morning
I had to stop yesterday but will finish writing now. It is a beautiful day out and Jimmie is outside playing. He is real good now about just playing around here and when I call him he always answers and says, here’s me. The company was supposed to have a picnic today out at some man’s cottage. The charge was a dollar and a half a couple which included all the kids and everything was to be furnished but it was all called off because some big shot came down from the New York office and this fellow rented him his cottage for the weekend. Now the picnic is supposed to be next Sunday.
I guess Kellogg is definitely through getting new jobs but may start in again in the fall. Some of the men plan to just take a vacation when through here and wait until then, however Elmer can’t do anything like that. About this Cities Service job, they can use him alright but with a very low salary but Elmer is to talk to this man again so maybe it can be made satisfactory. In the meantime Elmer is writing letters to other jobs. He says he doesn’t see how he can possibly be kept on here after June 1st but we’ll have to just wait and see.
Did I tell you Eden had a baby girl March 31st. I must write to her today. It seems like I have so much to do these remaining six weeks. I have lots of sewing and mending to do and want to get everything cleaned up, and catch up on my letter writing.
After I have the baby I would like to get started going to church again and put Jimmie in Sunday school. I think he would like that and I’m sure he would behave himself as he is usually pretty quiet when people are around he doesn’t know very well. Tuesday he will be two so I’m going to buy a small cake and put a couple candles on it and have Juanita Atkins and her little girl over and we’ll take the children over to the park. I had thought I would have a party but decided it would be too much work.
Here it is twelve o’clock already so will have to stop and fix Jimmie some lunch. I’ll write more later and will be anxious to hear about Pop.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading