Monday, October 27, 2008

357 9/30/1938 Helen Erwin to Sadie Erwin

Helen Erwin
1912 Third Avenue South, Minneapolis, Minn.
Friday, September 30, 1938
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
My cold is almost gone today and I feel a lot better. I had one of those awful colds like Stella used to get.
I’m glad I have decided not to move. Eden has changed an awful lot now and I like her much better. She is good to the baby but I guess at first she didn’t know what to do with her when she cried. She is three weeks old today. I can’t believe that Stella’s baby will be three months Sunday. I bet she is just darling. Last night the baby cried all night until 5 o’clock this morning. She was feeling all right because the minute she was picked up she stopped crying but the second she was put in bed again she would start in again. Eden closes both doors into the bedroom so it doesn’t bother Selma and me. Selma got up a couple of times though and rocked the baby to sleep. I think the baby must be just like you said I used to be when I would cry whenever anyone even walked into the room. Tonight Selma and I will both be going out so Eden is going to let the baby cry it out and then she might get over it.
Eden has a good dinner every night and gets up in the morning and makes breakfast and makes lunches for Wally and Selma and me. As long as I am here I really hate to think of moving and I can do anything I want to at the apartment. I know Gladys is going to try and talk me into moving some other place because she thinks I should have a bedroom, but at the apartment I can walk back and forth to work and come home for dinner and walk back to school again and that saves a lot of carfare. The only drawback before was Eden and as long as she keeps up acting like she is now everything will be fine.
I’m going to call Mrs. Bush tonight and find out about Mr. Bush. I think he must be all right because otherwise I’m sure she would have called me. I suppose Gladys told you that Woodfills have gone on their vacation now to see Frances and Bertel. I think it is next Saturday that Viola is to be married. I hate to take the time off to go to the wedding but I do want to see it and Gladys wants me to be there to see how she does. I think Gladys’ dress is just beautiful and she should look awfully nice. They are having practice next Wednesday night. Elmer and I both got invitations so that means a wedding present but we aren’t going to spend very much on it. Viola has everything anyway. I don’t see why I should spend so much on Viola when I haven’t even given Gladys and Cully a wedding present yet.
Selma has stayed at the apartment this week but plans to go back to her sister’s next week. I told you how when she went to Milwaukee last week with Al and his mother and sister and that time he said they would be married for sure but she is still single. I wish she wouldn’t like him so much.
Well my lunch hour is almost over so I will have to stop. I won’t end the letter now but will take it home and add on to it tonight.
Friday night 11:15 PM
Dear Folks,
Elmer just left so I will finish your letter. Elmer studied all evening and Wally had some work to do from the office so Eden and I played pickup sticks. I told you how Eden was going to let the baby cry it out tonight but the baby was so good tonight, when she was awake she just looked around and didn’t even cry. Elmer and I didn’t go out because he has a cold too and doesn’t feel so well. I called Mrs. Bush tonight. Mr. Bush is still very low. He has tubes stuck into his nose down through his body. He is fed through his veins. I told Mrs. Bush you were going to write to her real soon, mother, so I hope you get a chance to write. Mrs. Bush is practically sick in bed with worry. She says I’m such a good girl to call her and she is going to call me as soon as there is any change. He can’t have any visitors. Well I’m going to bed now. Tomorrow after work I’ll be home all afternoon so will go over all your last letters and write you a good letter.
With Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading