Friday, November 28, 2008

787 10/18/1946 Sadie Erwin to Albert Erwin

Sadie Erwin
Alexandria, Ohio
Friday, October 18, 1946
Albert Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Albert & Jimmie,
Another nice letter came from you today. Also one from Frank. He will meet me in Little Falls whenever I get there.
Today I walked up town and bought a few things. Ruth came over for a while this evening. Tomorrow she is taking me to the practitioner to meet her. Eleanor came over for a while today too.
Elizabeth called up again last night from Detroit. She is not coming down this weekend so I will not get to see her. I hope to leave here Thursday.
Ben seems a little better each day. Today we have seen the most improvement. He talked a little more, but still seems weak. I am sure his mind is clear now and he knows me.
I was wondering how Jimmie would wake up unless you set the alarm for him. I am glad you are getting along so nicely. Will be glad when I can be back to help you boys again.
Saturday morning
Ruth came back last evening so did not get this finished. Will do so now while Roma feeds Ben. He seems much better. Said good morning to me and sat up for at least an hour.
The day is lovely again. We got some rain water yesterday so I washed my hair this morning. We are three hours different in time from you there. I keep checking all the time. When I waken at midnight I can see you getting ready to close the store at 9 there.
The store man here told me he had just gotten in 100 pounds of navy beans and they were gone in two days. Perhaps Jim can get some now or after Nov. 1st. O.P.A. should be through then. You are still selling a lot of groceries. When we take inventory I am sure we will find where a lot of the profit is. Another big load of coal is going by – train after train load goes by every day. Roma said the miners quit work because they could not get meat, but went back to work to get money so they could buy beans.
It is good the way you always manage to have bread to sell.
I forgot to bring Jim’s brown trousers down to send to the cleaners. That was the third pair.
I am glad to know you have had some good meals to eat. It was nice of Mrs. Rose to think of you boys.
Thanks for Rose’s address. I think the Hennepin Ave. one is where she is now.
You certainly want to tell that Nalley’s man what you think of him and the whole outfit. We are not the only ones they have made sore at them.
Ruth plans to get me this afternoon and take me to her place for supper.
I had a nice letter from Helen. She is anxious for me to come. Will leave as soon as possible now.
Much love, Mother.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading