Wednesday, December 3, 2008

272 9/28/1950 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
4008 Randall Avenue, St. Louis Park, Minneapolis 16, Minnesota
Thursday, September 28, 1950
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks:
Frank Woodfill called me tonight and told me about the wonderful time he had out there and about seeing all of you. You certainly went all out for him and he even sounded excited talking about it. It was swell of you to do so much because you are so awfully busy all the time and when he told me you stayed up until three one night and two the next night I just didn't see how it was possible. I know it really meant a lot to him to see you all. I talked to him a long time and certainly liked hearing about everything.
Jan Martin (Warnie's wife) called tonight to ask for a practitioner so I gave her the number of the one I have had to call on occasion. She sure needs one in a bad way and I certainly hope everything turns out all right. Her youngest boy Ned who is just twelve has been home from school the last two weeks with a terrible headache that didn't let up at all. She took him to a doctor yesterday and they put him through all kinds of tests and put this electric machine on his head and found he has a terrible brain tumor. He is going to be operated on tomorrow and she wanted to know if a practitioner would work for him and for her peace of mind too and I told her I was sure one would. I'm anxious to hear if she will or not. Anyway, Warnie hasn't been one bit concerned about Ned since he isn't Warnie's boy and Warnie is so distant to the boys anyway that Jan had no one to lean on at all. However, she wired the father and he and his mother are flying in tonight from Detroit and the ex mother-in-law said to spare no expense, that she would pay for everything.
I went to the sewing club Monday night and they did have a shower for me. Each one gave me some little thing for the baby, nice things like rubber pants and powder and things like that and then the main present from all of them was a teeter-babe. Hazel left that morning so I didn't get to see her but she also left a present which was a darling pair of hand-knit booties. It was awfully nice of them to give the shower and I have invited them all over here for the next meeting but I do wish I knew how to get out of going to the meetings because, as much as I like them all, they meet too often and I'm the only one in the bunch who isn't a relative. Now their Aunt Alice is going to join. Do you know who she is? I don't.
Mary has been out of school the last two days and I'm going to keep her home tomorrow also since it is Friday but she was running around the house ten times the other morning before school to work up an appetite for breakfast. She was on about the sixth round when she fell down and skinned her knee so badly that she can't straighten it out. Then yesterday I put a Band-Aid over the sore and the Band-Aid has stuck to the sore and no matter how long she soaks it it won't come off and today the sore started to heal over the little piece of Band-Aid that is still on. I cut off as much of the Band-Aid that would come loose so there is just a little piece stuck on the sore but I don't know how to get it off. Elmer says when the scab falls off that piece of Band-Aid will fall off too.
I am so anxious to see Glad. I hope the weather will be nice. The last few days have been beautiful fall days but rain is predicted for tomorrow and also much colder. I'm feeling good and went to the doctor yesterday and he said the baby should be here in six weeks. Everyone says I'm going to have a boy after I finally decided it should be a sister for Mary.
Ralph stopped over last night with his mother to say goodbye to us. He was to leave this afternoon so should be arriving there about now. He had a wonderful time while he was here, I wish Glad and Cully would have more time to spend here. Well Folks, I had better stop and I hope you have caught up on your sleep a little by now.
With Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading