Sunday, November 30, 2008

156 4/8/1948 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
4008 Randall Avenue, St. Louis Park, Minneapolis 16, Minnesota
Thursday, April 08, 1948
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks:
I have to start typing pretty soon but will write to you first. I haven't had any typing all week as they are getting caught up down at the office and it has been swell not having that to worry about. The box I have now I don't have to have finished until Monday.
When we were first married Elmer worked for the Fish and Wildlife Service and they have a main office in Minneapolis. I told you how the Ducrets from Massachusetts are coming here. George Ducret is due this week. Now tonight Ruth Recroft from Atlanta, Georgia called me and they are here too and more will probably be coming. It was funny how Ruth got my number. They have been here for several months and didn't know how to get a hold of us, in fact, they didn't know for sure if we were in Minneapolis or not. Then this afternoon Elmer called the Fish and Wildlife office to leave our telephone number for George when he comes in and Ray Recroft took the message. We were all so surprised to hear we were both here.
We have such a busy weekend. Friday night we are going to a Legion dance with Eden and Wally and Clara and Vernie. Then Addie called me a while ago and invited us to go to a club dance with their bunch Saturday night. Then Sunday night we are invited out to Recrofts, the ones from Atlanta, to see them and George Ducret will also be there. So I just have to get my 600 labels typed tonight as I will hardly have another chance over the weekend.
Tomorrow we are having a water softening unit put in. It will be just wonderful because our water is as hard as rocks. I pour in a whole box of soap powder and still don't get any suds. You know how you hated Roma's water, Ours must be just like hers. We just pay 3.98 a month and in a certain length of time we will have the unit paid for so then we won't have to pay the monthly fee.
Fanchon is getting along fine according to the hospital reports. I haven't been down to see her again as they told me when I called that she was in a lot of pain and wouldn't appreciate visitors so I thought I would wait until Saturday afternoon and then go down to see her. I told Addie about it tonight and she said it is a terrible operation but a person can lead a perfectly normal life with only one lung so I hope Fanchon can get well now.
We had our yard graded yesterday but he had to leave some of it as there is still frost in the back yard. The old mud hill is gone in front though so it looks much better. Today was the first day the lakes were free from ice. It takes a long time for it to melt.
Well Folks, I have to stop and get busy. Oh yes, mother, remember Mary King, the girl who lived next door to me in Lebanon. I had a baby announcement from her today and she had a baby boy born April 1st.
Goodnight for now folks.
With Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading