Friday, November 28, 2008

108 7/14/1947 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
3409 Fremont Ave. South, Minneapolis 8, Minnesota
Monday, July 14, 1947
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
I don't know how far I'll get with this letter because I'm taking care of seven kids. My two and Florence's and Nellie's. Their grandmother is 96 years old today so they have all gone over to see her. The children have been having lots of fun playing together and so far there has been no trouble.
Elmer has his vacation this week but will spend most of the time working on the house. The carpenters are finally out there. They started today so maybe they will put it up in a hurry. We have all been working on the puzzle you sent but still haven't finished it.
I had a letter from Stella the other day and she told me about all the people who stopped at Glad's the Sunday she was there. I don't think it's right for people to drop in on her even though she does live on the lake.
I think I finally got everything sent back to you except the blue scarf. I owe you one. Tell me how the watch runs. That pair of pants I sent I thought would fit Bernice.
I guess Bob will be getting married pretty soon. He hasn't told his folks yet. Dolores will work as long as possible, like Ruth did. Bob doesn't know where they will live or anything.
The weather has turned pretty hot now but it probably will still get much hotter. We went swimming Sunday afternoon again but the water is getting pretty dirty-looking now.
Friday night we were over to Warnie's and played bridge. We met Warnie's wife's two boys. They are 10 and 12 and I felt sorry for them because they are shoved around. When neither the mother or father finds it convenient to have them they are put in boarding school. In September Warnie has to give up the apartment and if they haven't found another place by then the boys will have to go back to boarding school and Warnie and his wife and baby will have to move back in with his folks.
Did you know there was a Seventh Church here now. I would like to meet Rose some night soon as I've been thinking about her a lot lately. When I get my house I will like being able to call up people and invite them over often.
Tomorrow Elmer wants me to play golf with him but I don't know yet if I will or not. Wednesday I'm supposed to go over to Jan Martin's house and Thursday Selma wants me to meet her downtown for lunch.
Last Wednesday Eden, Selma and I went to the South Side picnic at Nicollet field. Selma and I brought all the food as Eden was going to be downtown all morning and she was supposed to pay us for her share. We took the kids to the park about four and Wally met us after work about six to eat with us. There was a Carnival there and lots of entertainment so all the children had a wonderful time. Eden never did offer to pay for her share. Selma mentioned it to her once but she didn't say anything. I was surprised at Eden because she didn't use to be that way.
How are you getting along at the store. Is your business still good? Are you all feeling fine now. I was talking to the lady across the street the other day. Her boy Freddy sat right behind me in school and he is the one I rode in the plane with when I flew out there. Anyway she has known Carlsons for years and said how she hated to see Bob going with a Catholic girl. She said she was Christian Science and always discouraged Catholics in her home when her children were growing up and then her oldest boy married a Catholic girl from North Minneapolis. He even changed Catholic, thinking they would have a better chance of getting along, but it still isn't working out.
Well Folks I have to call Jimmy in and get him ready for bed. Mary is already there. More soon.
With Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading