Thursday, November 6, 2008

733 5/29/1942 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
Box 582 Newburyport, Massachusetts
Friday, May 29, 1942
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Plum Island
Dear Folks,
This is our last night here and Elmer and I are sitting in the pile of boxes and suitcases and the baby is upstairs sleeping. The weather has been beautiful and tonight is a wonderful moonlight night and the tide is in and the waves roaring and I sure hate to leave. The baby’s bed fits tight in back of the seat so I won’t have to hold him all the time. The doctor examined me and the baby today and we’re both in shipshape. He said to give the baby orange juice now, but think I’ll wait til we’re through traveling.
I didn’t get through the lighthouse because first I was so big and then when I got home didn’t have time but Doris and I had planned to go through tomorrow but now I can’t. We were over there for supper tonight. The coast guard came over tonight and said to watch our lights. Ours were alright but they had to go to every house. Big torpedo bombers have been practicing dropping torpedoes in the ocean the last two days. They fly around the Island so low they just skim the house tops. There’s talk of closing the Island up.
Glad you got your permanent, Mom. We think it will take about 6 days to get to Minneapolis. Will try to find Tourist Camps on account of the baby. Write to Elmer’s house 3409 Fremont So. I sent some smocks and stuff today. Thought maybe you could wear those shoes up in the hills, Mom. The rash on the baby’s face was a heat rash but is just about gone and he doesn’t grunt much anymore like he did so doesn’t worry me now.
I wonder if Glad called Woodfills. I think I will. Bob is in Ireland we just found out. I had Bertha over today to wash diapers and she took care of Jimmie while Elmer and I went back into town to get a few things. I bought a pair of comfortable canvas shoes to wear in the car. They are bright ones, just cheap, but I like them and will be swell for sitting all day. Will write more along the way. This has been a wonderful place to live and I wonder how I’ll get used to the hot south again and all the many Negroes but if we can find a decent place to live it will help some. Looks like railroad passenger trains are going to be rationed. Hope I get out there but don’t plan much on it yet. Will write more later Folks.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading