Wednesday, October 29, 2008

381 2/9/1939 Sadie Erwin to Helen Erwin

Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington
Thursday, February 09, 1939
Helen Erwin
5201 28th Ave South, Minneapolis, Minnesota

My dear Helen,
Another letter from you came today. Yes, some of your letters were held up. The one that came today came through on time, though. Stamped Minneapolis 7th, 2 P. M.
We have snow. Has snowed most of the day and it is 26° about right now. Which seems cold to us.
I had a nice time in Seattle yesterday. It was a nice day. Glad this snow did not come any sooner.
Tomorrow I am having the study club here. After that I will have to put my mind on the P.T.A. next week Thursday. Will be glad to get some of these things over with.
Jimmie has gone to take Vivian to the show tonight. Nelson Eddy and Jeanette McDonald in, “Sweethearts.” I want to go tomorrow night.
Stella came over last night for a little while. She expects to work all this week. Will really be glad when the work is over with. Has lost weight and feels so far behind in her housework and is so tired at night when she gets home. Wanted me to tell you how much she liked the sweater you sent and said she would write as soon as this insurance work is over.
When I came to send those coupons I wrote in ___ what I saw on the package. Hope the girls down at work can remember about it. At least so you can get it straightened out. Another time I will count every one. Then I’ll know.
Eden must have been glad to see that man again with the baby’s pictures. Stella will be glad to have one and I’ll be glad to see the picture of the baby.
I am glad you enjoyed the play up N.E. and to hear the boy kept his word and took you girls home afterwards. That was a long ways from home for you to go.
It must be fun for Eden and this Bernice to get their babies together and compare notes. I do wish the kids would get some Kodak pictures taken of Bernice. I’ll take some myself if they don’t. She is getting cuter all the time. Puts her toes in her mouth. Raises her feet up straight in the air and then pounds them down on the bed or wherever she is lying, as hard as she can. Does it over and over again until you would think her heels were sore. Harold has your baby bed over there and is giving it 3 coats of paint. I told them when she has out-grown it, it belongs to me then they can return it.
The Indian blanket will save the studio couch a lot. You will always be able to make use of it and $1.88 is not much money to pay. I do not like to have a dog around the house either but if you are left alone some times, they are company then. Still, if they bark, then it is apt to scare one, thinking maybe the dog has heard something.
I remember Les Jacobson. He used to, or rather seemed to like Stella. There were some nice kids in her crowd. Still I think it is a good she got away from there. That Bill was a lot older than she and none too good.
You will enjoy your Science books I know. Yes, if one is ever a good Scientist they cannot change to something else or give it up. When you once learn and prove what it does when honestly applied you know there is nothing that can take its place.
It is nice your school gets out as early as it does. Even at that it is none too early when you get way out home. Do you mind living out so far? I still think of that nice motorman waiting for you to get into the house. It is nice to know there are good men in the world helping to look after young girls.
Much love, Mother.
Feb. 10
19° above this morning. Pop.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading