Wednesday, November 12, 2008

527 1/19/1944 Jim Erwin to Sadie Erwin

Jim Erwin
Barksdale Field, Louisiana
Wednesday, January 19, 1944
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
Have received a couple of nice letters from you since my last to you.
Sunday night was able to get away to go to Lake Charles. The field was still under restriction but my 1st Sgt. said if I wanted to take a chance on no M.P.s stopping me, he wouldn’t make me absent for any formations. Well, I went and got back O.K.
Tuesday morning the restriction on the field was lifted so am free again for a short time.
Today telegrams were sent to all men who just left on furloughs. They are to be back at midnight Sunday. Some will just be getting home and coming right back. All the money will be spent for nothing.
Starting next Monday nobody in our group will be allowed off the post. Even our 12 o’clock passes will be taken. We have men on detached service in Texas who are being brought back Friday. All married men are ordered back to live on the post and were told to send their wives home. We have gotten ready so often to leave we even doubt it this time. Three day passes are still open until Sunday night so am going to apply for one tomorrow and go to Lake Charles. The other night I stayed home with Helen and we played cribbage. She found my bracelet Maxine gave me and am glad to have it again.
Last night I was on K.P. and didn’t have to report for work until noon. Was room orderly this morning and am Cpl. of the Guard tonight. Am getting it all at once but shouldn’t have to worry about it again for a couple of weeks.
Helen said that cousin Elizabeth was in Chicago visiting Gladys. She had told me a month or so ago that Glad had invited her and wanted to go.
Last Friday afternoon it snowed real hard and kept up until the next morning. It was beautiful. The sun came out good and strong though and is all gone now. It snowed for about 100 miles south of here and quit so Helen didn’t get any.
Tuesday morning I had to wait for three hours at the bus station until I could get in the gate. There were some C.S. papers and magazines so sat there and read. I enjoyed it a lot and the time went fast.
Our new C.O. won’t allow any rating to go through unless the ratings are three months apart so will have to wait another month until my Sgt rating will come through. Am sure I’ll get it then.
Yesterday a plane crashed and three men were killed. They had the funeral today. It’s the first time anyone has been killed since I’ve been here.
Being Cpl. of the Guard is easy. Just sit inside by the fire and post the new reliefs when the time is up.
I don’t think we are going overseas but most likely somewhere for combat training and then go.
Will write again soon and hope it’s from Helen’s.
With love, Jim

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading