Thursday, November 27, 2008

76 7/7/1946 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
Box 281, Sparta Pike, Lebanon, Tennessee
Sunday, July 07, 1946
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
I had a nice letter from you Friday morning and you mailed it Wednesday morning so that is really fast time. I love to hear about how well the store is going along. It really keeps you busy though doesn't it. Did you go up on your prices when OPA went out. Bacon jumped from 38 to 45 cents a pound here but I just get a pound a week. My ham I wanted to send you never has come and I suppose now it will be quite awhile before the store gets it.
Mrs. Jackson got married Saturday afternoon. She has been seeing this fellow (38) for about two weeks. His wife was killed a couple of years ago and left him five children but his folks have them. I believe I told you Mrs. Jackson's husband came last Sunday to get his children. He only stayed long enough for Mrs. Jackson to get their clothes together. They didn't talk at all as he brought his mother and a sister along and seemed in a hurry to get out of there. He took all but Emma, the youngest. Then during the week Mrs. Jackson wrote to him and told him to keep the kids. Saturday then, she and her new husband were married. The Justice of the Peace came out to the car to marry them because little Emma was asleep on the back seat. Mrs. Jackson seems happy but worries about her children. She wants them back if she can have them. The man she married is very good to her and has a fairly decent job at the woolen mills. They are living at Mrs. Jackson's house. She led a terrible life before and if her children will get along all right, everything is for the best.
These Rawlinses across the street are making everyone so mad. Mr. Rawlins goes around to all the neighbors and tells each one terrible things about the other neighbors. Elmer and I are the only ones who don't get upset about it because we figure if anyone wants to believe someone like that we don't care. They are telling everyone that I run around with men and neglect my children. Everyone knows that isn't true, of course, but it made me furious when I first heard about it. Saturday Mrs. Cash came over just raving because she had heard what he has been saying about her, that she is a thief. She was so mad she was going to go right over there but I told her I thought it was best just to ignore the whole thing and not pay any attention to them. I know the Rawlinses can't hurt anybody by their gossip but it does burn me up. Then he had the nerve to ask me for a ride one day last week but I told him I certainly wouldn't take him any place. It's the grandpa who is doing all the talking and he just sits out in the yard all day long and watches us all and makes up things to say. Then all the other Rawlinses are just as bad but nobody has anything to do with them.
Saturday I had my teeth cleaned and have only one small cavity. My appointment for that isn't until August 2nd. My teeth certainly don't decay like they used to.
The weather is so hot I'm glad we aren't going to Knoxville with Elmer. He wouldn't be good company anyway as he is so worried about it. He leaves Monday night at nine thirty.
The kid's trip to the ocean sounded wonderful. I felt bad about not remembering Bernice's birthday. I did remember it but all of a sudden it was here. I bought her something last week though so she will get it soon.
Well Folks I have some clothes to sprinkle so had better stop. Did you see the Brays? I bet Mabel loves Washington. Goodnight for now Folks.
With Love, Helen.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading