Thursday, November 6, 2008

453 9/6/1942 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
1705 North 4th, Monroe, Louisiana
Sunday, September 06, 1942
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

1705 North 4th, Monroe, Louisiana
Dear Folks,
I had a nice letter from you yesterday and was glad to hear from you. You certainly had a busy week and I don’t blame you for not getting a letter written. I had fallen down on the writing too and didn’t have half as much to do as you did.
I was sure after Glad and Cully saw Betty and Andy that they would like them because they are the Washington type. They like outdoor life and to get out and do things.
About curtains, there are three windows in my living room, three in the dining room and three in the bedroom and one in the kitchen. I have a curtain in the bathroom. Any length would be alright and any amount. I know you wouldn’t have so many extra curtains but if I just had some to put in the bedroom it would be swell. I just remembered I don’t need any in the living room because there are some here that Mrs. Walters left up.
I’m glad the box arrived o.k. with the baby clothes. I am ashamed of sending those little boxes of soap to Ruthie and Bernice because I realize now that little kids wouldn’t like anything like that but I just didn’t know what to get and when the clerk showed me that I just bought them.
Monday I have to go to court because I got a parking ticket yesterday. I didn’t know I parked in a no parking place but I guess I did, in fact I know I did because after I saw I got the ticket I went back to see why I shouldn’t have parked there and it was a safety zone for people to cross the street on but the yellow line stopped just before it and I hadn’t noticed the little marking for the walk. I hope it won’t cost much but will probably be two dollars anyway. Elmer’s boss’s wife was with me and she is going with me Monday. I guess I told you they are from Norway and talk very broken.
Elmer is out playing golf this morning and this is Hiawatha’s Sunday off so I won’t get to church. I’ll be glad when school starts so Hiawatha won’t be coming over anymore. I don’t know what I’ll do with Jimmie when I want to play bridge or something but will think of something.
Today is your birthday, Mom, and I hope it is a happy one. I certainly hope your present got there Saturday but I suppose it got there Monday instead.
A Jewish couple moved in the house in front of us the other day and yesterday she gave me a nice bass and we had it for supper last night and it was awfully good. It looks like this month is going to be a hot one by the way it has started out but the nights are still cool.
Jimmie is beginning to show signs of getting good and spoiled so I guess I will have to get him over it. I don’t want him to get too bad and I think boys are worse than girls that are spoiled. All I have to do is think of John Winter when he was little and I decided then that Jimmie isn’t going to be spoiled anymore.
Well Folks, I guess I had better stop for this time and Jimmie might go to sleep if he doesn’t hear the typewriter. Until he gets to sleep we can’t make even the slightest noise or he will wake up but after he is really asleep it’s hard to wake him up. I’ll do better about writing this week and Pop, do you still like your work. Who is Jimmie taking out now?
With Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading