Monday, November 17, 2008

570 3/20/1944 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
1414 Cole St., Lake Charles, Louisiana
Monday, March 20, 1944
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
Your nice letter came today written to both Jim & me. Jim missed it though as he left on the nine o’clock bus last night (Sunday). He didn’t have to leave until Tuesday night in order to get back in time but started getting restless and hated to think of the bus trip. He has to change several times. He will arrive in Lakeland Tuesday night. He and Frances’s old boyfriend saw each other quite a bit and they went on a company picnic Sunday. Friday night he took Maxine out but I believe that is the only time he went out with a girl. He went down to the ration board one day and they gave him 20 gallons of gas, 40 meat points and 40 process points. I’m sending you the gas coupons which are “C”. If Ernie can take them that will be swell. Could you use my meat points if they were torn out of my book. I hardly think you can use the ones Jim got for me because it is just a slip of paper with my address on it and on it is written good for 40 points. Can you use my canning stamps that are going to be good? I’m not going to apply for canning sugar so I hope you can use it.
The news about Mrs. Woodfill was a terrible shock. I thought she was improving so nicely. Did she ever get well enough to be up and around? Did she turn for the worse suddenly. As you find out the details, let me know.
When Jim arrived here he was broke so I gave him what he needed and then when he left I gave him ten dollars. I asked him if Glad ever sent him any money and he said he thought once she sent him a dollar. I wrote to her while he was here and told her about his furlough and everything and asked her if she would send him five dollars. I hope it doesn’t make her mad but I’ve given and given almost every time Jimmie has come to see me. If she sends anything I’ll send it on to him. Jim did want to go to Shreveport one day but spending six dollars for a bus ticket seemed foolish to me so I talked him out of it. Jim is swell in every way but has no value of money. For instance he went downtown and spent 65¢ for a haircut and I didn’t think he needed one at all. It will be swell if you can go to see him when he leaves Florida. I’m going to keep the day bed up here because it folds up and I can just leave it in the dining room.
Unless Elmer goes into the army it looks as though we might be here for the duration. You see, Kellogg is building the Cities Service Plant for high octane gas. Since it looks as though Kellogg will have no other jobs when this one is through, they are placing their men over at Cities Service to work there when the plant goes into operation. Elmer has a good chance of getting a job there and we really hope so because I sure hate to think of moving with a new baby, especially without a job. It would probably mean heading for Minneapolis and that doesn’t sound good to me at all. Elmer said his salary would probably be smaller but I wouldn’t care at all if we could only stay settled for a while.
Jim got his shoes and they look real nice and he is awfully glad to have them. Did you have a nice visit with Mrs. Martel, Mom? I wonder if Cully is in the army or not. I hope not. I didn’t get to take any pictures while Jim was here because I didn’t have any films and there haven’t been any in town for ages. No Kleenex either so Jim is going to send me several boxes of it since he can still get it at the post.
I wonder if Mrs. Ellsworth has heard about Mrs. Woodfill?
Saturday night we invited Elmer’s boss and his wife over so let Jim take the car since we wouldn’t be needing it. It happened that the Haugeto’s battery was dead so they walked over here with their three children and it is a long way. We wished then we had the car so we could take them home later on, especially as a big rain storm came up and we have no phone so couldn’t call a cab. Just as Elmer was getting ready to walk downtown and get a cab for them Jim came home. It couldn’t have been timed more perfectly.
Morning
A letter just came from Glad with five dollars for Jim so I will send it to him today. Now he should get along pretty good the rest of the month. He said he had had his picture taken but didn’t have any money to get them but probably he can when he gets paid.
Must stop now and write to Jim. The pictures of Ruthie and Jeannie came today and I think they are darling. More later.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading