Friday, August 6, 2010

February 25, 1905 Albert Erwin (age 20) to Louisa Erwin

Minneapolis, Minnesota
February 25, 1905

Dear Carl, Mamma, Ruth and Grandma,

I was very glad to hear from you again. I am very well except a blister on one heal which I got from walking around so much today.

Another boy and myself took the car out to Fort Snelling [and] we walked all over the place, looking at the cannons, horses and other things. Then we took a car to St. Paul and got a transfer to the Como - Harriet car which goes through Como Park and then into Mpls.

We have had a week of very warm weather, but it is a little bit colder to-day. I suppose that there has not been much of any sleighing in St. Peter. We have had some very nice sleighing but it gets warm out so quick here in town.

A friend of mine took me roller skating last night. We skated until half past - one o'clock and did not get up until half past eleven today. I did not fall down at all, but I was just as dirty as a coon (nigger).

I am a soldier boy in the National Guard now. I have got a regular soldier suit and have to go down and drill every Tuesday evening.

Next fall I will have to go to camp with the rest of the Company at Lake City for two weeks. We get $1.50 a day when we are out at camp.

Please say hello to Mr Oman? for me.

I am sorry that Grandma's cough is worse, but she will very likely get better as soon as the weather improves.

Say Carl did my skates fit you all right or probably you have not had a chance to try them on.

Well I will have to close now for I have a couple more letters to write and I want to get to bed at 10: and it is after nine now.

So good by write soon.

Albert

I got the money last night. Did you give Olsen his money.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading